There are a lot places to find information on New York history. Plenty of organizations do a great job telling in depth stories about specific battles, famous people, and even small town tales. All of that history comes with important dates in our past.
- ABC7 is your source for breaking news from New York City and the surrounding neighborhoods. Watch live streaming video and stay updated on New York news.
- Find New York news from the New York Daily news, providing local news coverage for every New York City neighborhood.
This page is an evolving attempt to try and capture the important dates in the Empire State’s past. The database includes historic events, births, and deaths that took place on this day in history. Each one in some way directly relates to Upstate.
This database is a work in progress and is updated regularly with historic dates. Some will be wide reaching and recognizable across Upstate. Others will be noteworthy only to those who live right in the region.
Today In New York City History
Regardless of the relation, all of the dates and events included in this database have had an impact in some way to the history of Upstate New York.
Not everything in New York costs a bazillion dollars. From art shows to live concerts and cultural events, here are the best free things to do in NYC today. Enjoy $20.21 takeout specials for NYC Restaurant Week To Go Weekend-long Citywide The city’s biannual event for meal deals, NYC Restaurant Week To Go, certainly looks different this year, but. Read the latest New York state and regional breaking news and updates, including politics, crime, education and more. Newsday Exclusive Senate report urges measures to combat housing bias.
Today In New York With Corona
- 1916Effective on this day, regarding an Executive Order signed by President Woodrow Wilson a few days before, the Port of Entry at Charlotte ceases to exist as a separate port apart from Rochester.
- 1948Musician Rick James is born in Buffalo
- 2003Michael P. Anderson, born in Plattsburgh, is killed with six other astronauts when the Columbia Space Shuttle explodes.
- 2006Much to the surprise of his supporters, Tom Golisano of Paychex announces he will not run for governor of New York after all.
- 2008The University of Rochester renames their mascot. The Yellowjacket mascot had been known as 'URBee' since 1983, but as of this day, the predatory wasp would be known as 'Rocky'.
Whether it’s the closing an iconic restaurant, the birth of a well known Upstater, or a news event that made waves, it’s an important piece of our past. It may seem inconsequential, but preserving the past is an integral part of our local storytelling.
If you have a piece of history related to New York that you feel should be included, please submit using this contact form.